Sunday 11 February 2007

Creeping Clapotis

Clapotis creeps on. I've now got 5 dropped columns and moved her off steel and onto rosewood. I won't post a photo, because there are only so many pictures of a clapotis that one blog can take but... it's very satisfying to knit.There are a couple of things I'd like to note, though.
Firstly, it has taught me to purl continentally in a way that doesn't torment my hands. Purl and I now have a tentative friendship, and plain purl rows are relaxing. This is an achievement.
I have fragile hands, and I depend on them for a living (computing) and for my sanity (cooking and sewing and knitting and weaving). Not tormenting my hands is something I worry about. My father has weak wrists and suffers a little from RSI (or whatever it's called these days) and my mother and grandmother both developed arthritis of the thumb very early in their lives. My mother seems to be managing it quite well, but it crippled my grandmother, and for a while there it was causing my mother a lot of pain. Pouring from teapots was difficult, opening jars impossible. That kind of thing.
Secondly, I was initially worried about the way this yarn was knitting up. The combination of colour (lighter and more pink that the photos show) and the texture were making it look... obscenely biological. Nothing like knitting something that makes you think of diseased human tissue, is there? Thankfully, when the columns are dropped all this seems to go away. Clapotis, she good. I like her long time.
I know everyone else knitter her ages ago, the proof is here:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/50123132@N00/pool/ but this bothers me not at all.
She's going to have to be put aside for a while, though, because what I really need is my SSSS. Now I have a needle which I think will work for Russian joins in this yarn, there is no excuse...

No comments: