Monday 29 January 2007

Denmark is pretty

So. I've spent the last week in Copenhagen, Denmark for work. I'm staying in a rather astonishing place: I decided that since I would be here for nearly two weeks, I would try to find a self-catering apartment rather than a hotel. I wanted to be able to do my own laundry and cooking.
What I did find in the same price-range as the hotel the client would have put me up in was a corporate let. Well. It has two bedrooms, a dining room and a lounge room, all white and light a spacious. It's slightly larger than my flat in Sydney... and I've been enjoying it very much. Not that I've actually spent all that many hours here not working, but it's still nice not to have to live in one room mostly occupied by a bed for two weeks.
My partner came over for a few days and a friend came over for the weekend. All very satisfactory and Copenhagen is a lovely city. I would love to live here. It snowed. Pictures will follow. We are happy little Australians and we frolicked.
Did I do anything textile related? Well, Clapotis comes along slowly but steadily.

Clapotis 3 dropped
Clapotis progress 20070128

I've just cast on for my Sari Silk Sideways Scarf, and I did find a couple of yarn shops:

Uldstedet -
Very nice basement shop. Lots of yarn for fair-isle, some very nice felt slippers and buttons. A good range of the usual suspects like Debbie Bliss and Rowan as well.
Strikkeboden -
Lovely little shop, has a good general range as well as Noro and its own brand of 100% alpaca. Lovely. I nearly broke and bought some, even though I can't wear it. Maybe someone I know can...

I also came across a couple of unexpected fabric shops, and bought a length of fabric which was probably the most expensive thing in the shop: a wool felt, almost thrummed. Picture to follow, it went home with my other half due to my already too-heavy suitcase. In another shop, which was full of the most beautiful silks, I found some viscose jersey remnants, some in purple, some in black, which I hope to run up into a shirt of some sort. The silk. Mmmmm. The range of wool fabric here is also superb.
In non-textile related news, we went to Georg Jensen. When I was a little girl in Sydney, if we went into town with my mother, one of my treats would be to visit the Georg Jensen shop. We never bought anything, just wandered around and drooled. This time bought ourselves a tree-topper from their christmas range: essentially just a star on a spring, but exactly what I've been looking for and it will add that extra niceness to every Christmas.
Due to the present-like nature of the other things I bought they shall not feature here.
Shopping is not cheap here, but due to the fact that we're earning pounds, it's not horrifyingly expensive, either. Not the way it would be if we were earning Australian dollars...

No comments: