Work is also crap and not giving me much time for myself.
During this period I haven't been completely non-creative, although it's been close. I sent off my contribution to The Milkweed Project, pictures to follow when I get them off my other half's camera. The link is here, although my last name is misspellt.
I've made a pair of trousers for work which aren't a complete disaster, but the linen is a bit scratchy, which I'm not a fan of. I have enough fabric for another pair, but I'm not sure I want to use it.
I also dyed some yarn with my mother-in-law: we were given a large stash of yarn when a friend's grandmother died, most of it truly awful colours from the 80s. I invested in some Landscape dyes and spent some time transforming the yarn into more agreeable colours. My father-in-law, who is a man of useful hands, made me a lovely skein winder out of some scrap after I openly coveted the one he made my mother-in-law. I'm very lucky in my in-laws.
And finally, I've made myself a scarf. I've got several in the pipeline to knit, but because I never really need them, I never actually get around to finishing them (I only need scarves for the 1 or 2 weeks of winter I spend in Ballarat with my parents). The idea was that I would wear it in New York when I went for 4 days in November, but it was too warm most of the time. I did get to visit Habu, though. It took me a while to find it, and I think my colleague was a little nervous by the time we did so as it's a little off the beaten track. Never mind, it was worth it.
So, recipe for said scarf:
- Buy a 2.5 m x 1.16 m length of greyish silk twill from ebay
- Cut a sample off it to play with.
- Hem the remaining fabric with silk thread leaving you with rectangle of 1.1 m x 2.18 m which weighs about 160 g.
- Machine-embroider your tag on it.
- Wash it, because the iron insisted on leaving residue on the silk at random intervals (I either need to clean my iron in some drastic way or buy a new one)
- Fold it in half, matching the two short sides.
- Accordion-pleat across the scarf as detailed in this tutorial on t-shirt dyeing, using a pleat width of 10 cm.
- Roll up into a ball and secure with the rubber band you found after much running around the house with a perplexed look on your face.
- Fill a vessel with 4 cm of water and add 4 g black dye.
- Put the rolled-up silk into the dye, one spiral-side down. Microwave until done.
- Repeat with Bloodwood dye on the other side of the spiral.
- Take off the rubber band and unfurl.
- Fill vessel with water and 16 g of Salmon Gum dye. Add silk, microwave until done, stirring frequently.
- Wash, hang up to dry and wait nervously to see the real colours.